What is Care Navigation?
At Wootton Medical Centre, we operate Navigation. Patients will notice the Receptionist asking you for a brief outline of your problem when you call to make an appointment.
This new service will help specially trained Care Navigation Receptionists direct patients to the most appropriate service faster. Appointments will be made with the most appropriate clinician best suited for your needs, which may not be a GP, or, in some cases, Receptionists may direct you to an alternative healthcare service. For example, medication queries and some minor illnesses, such as a sore throat, could be managed by a Community Pharmacy and you may not be aware of this if you have not visited the surgery in a while.
However, the choice is always yours and you will never be refused a GP appointment, but we hope the next time you contact us and speak with the Receptionist you will see the value of seeing another health clinician if they are able to help.
Why is Care Navigation being introduced?
- Helps giving faster access to general practice services
- Helps patients see the most appropriate clinician, not necessarily a GP, or service to meet their personal needs
- By working this way, it helps to free up time for GPs to care for patients with complex or serious health conditions that can only be managed by the GP
- More importantly, it means patients are seen by the person or service that is best placed to manage your clinical problem
Services you could be directed to:
- Practice Nurse or Health Care Assistant
- First for Well-being or Talking Therapies